Job Title: Youth Engagement Specialist
Department: Education & Training
Reports to: Education and Training Manager
Hours: 15 hours per week, Non-exempt
Compass utilizes a positive youth development approach to support young people to achieve their HiSET based on youth’s interests, strengths, and needs. Reporting to the Education and Training Director, the Youth Engagement Specialist’s responsibilities range from community outreach to collaborating with Compass students and staff to plan and execute robust and engaging program offerings.. The Youth Engagement Specialist will execute a social media strategy to engage youth and will interact with students as a group facilitator, participating in creating and sustaining a positive educational environment.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Work with the student population to design, plan, and execute varied, stimulating, and engaging social activities including excursions, social events, field trips, clubs, and design challenges that ensure a stimulating social program. Develop potential “menu” of activities and electives: arts and crafts, sports, scavenger hunts, board games, etc.
- Gather the necessary resources and supplies for each activity and oversee logistics.
- Assist with supportive services that address student needs such as trips to the RMV, ID obtainment, dress for success, opening bank accounts, etc.
- Stay in contact with students; remind them of upcoming events and special dates, and encourage them to come to Compass.
- Establish and grow Compass’ social media presence. This includes, but is not limited to, using social media to engage students, promote field trips and events, recognize student successes, and post local employers who are hiring.
- Assist with keeping students updated of Compass and Action Inc. announcements and events via flyers, social media, A-frame board, etc.
- Engage students in conversation; refer students to internal and external services, as needed.
- Participate in Trauma Informed Workgroup meetings and help implement trauma informed best-practices at Compass.
- Create awareness of the Compass program in the community and identify productive avenues to support recruitment of future students.
- Connect students with Children’s Friend & Family services at Compass, as needed.
- Maintain database, as related to services.
- Attend and participate in departmental, organization-wide and other meetings.
- Act in the best interest of the organization, reflecting the values of team work, collaboration and mutual respect.
- Other duties as assigned
We’d love to hear from you if you’re interested in building a creative community with youth and if you have:
- Familiarity with local resources and public benefits.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Enjoy spending time with young adults, and have the ability to develop activities they might be interested in.
- Extensive experience with at-risk youth/young adults
- Have a passion for working with young adults, a belief in their potential and a strong commitment to Compass’ mission of empowering out-of-school Cape Ann youth to work towards economic self-sufficiency.
Physical Demands: Must be able to lift, move and carry 10 lbs.
To apply, complete the form below or send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com