Summary: The Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for communicating and promoting the mission, goals, and services of Action Inc. and its various programs both internally and externally. External audiences include existing and potential clients, the general public, media outlets, and existing and potential funders.
The Director of Marketing & Communications works closely with Action Inc. department directors to develop customized marketing strategies and outreach plans for individual programs and services. The Director of Marketing & Communications also works with senior leadership to develop overall messaging strategies for Action Inc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads all marketing and communications strategy and messaging.
- Develops and maintains consistent, high-quality branding across programs and platforms. Ensures content maintains style, tone, and messaging that is consistent with Action Inc.’s overall messaging platform.
- Plans and oversees digital marketing (email, social media, website, etc.), hard copy collateral (including annual report, annual appeal, brochures, etc.), and other marketing and communications assets as needed. Works with Marketing & Outreach Coordinator to manage and develop content for Action Inc.’s website and social media accounts.
- Writes crisp, error-free content for online and print, including print annual reports, press releases, talking points, CEO’s messages, e-newsletters, videos, and website. Supports other staff in writing the agency’s strategic plan and other reports as needed.
- Edits and proofreads the content of others including newsletters, brochures, reports, grant applications, and other materials as needed.
- Manages projects to ensure content is delivered on deadline and produces final products that are high quality.
- Supports agency community relations activities, including press relations and interagency collaborations. Represents Action Inc. and the CEO on key groups and community initiatives, as appropriate.
- Develops agency fundraising plan, identifying campaigns, events, and other activities that will help meet the funding needs of the agency.
- Leads donor relationships and stewardship activities to increase donations and attract new donors to the agency. Oversees tracking and maintenance of donor information in donor database; works with Finance Department to reconcile donation records on regular basis.
- Develops and oversees all agency fundraising appeals and campaigns, including annual appeal and other related activities.
- Plans and oversees all special events, including community outreach activities, annual meeting, and fundraising events as needed.
- Works with Marketing & Outreach Coordinator to plan, oversee, and execute annual Project Uplift Holiday Toy Drive in conjunction with other partners.
- Develops high quality PowerPoint presentations for the CEO as needed.
- Maximizes opportunities to secure press coverage for Action Inc.’s work and successes.
- Works with Marketing & Outreach Coordinator to manage internal communications and ensure all Action Inc. staff are informed about the agency’s services and programs.
- Attends and participates in departmental, organization-wide, and other meetings.
- Provides reports to Board of Directors as needed per CEO.
- Acts in the best interest of the organization, reflecting the values of teamwork, collaboration, and mutual respect.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications (Experience, Skills, Education):
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, Non-Profit Management, or a related field; Master’s preferred
- Candidate must have at least 3-5 years of non-profit organization experience, including experience with marketing, development, and/or communications
- Must have exceptional writing, communication, and editing skills
- Must be self-directed and have strong organizational skills
- Must be detail-oriented, creative, and have a keen eye for design
- Must display a proven ability to manage multiple priorities and competing deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Mailchimp, and WordPress is required
- Proficiency with various social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram is required
- Experience with donor databases is preferred
Physical Demands: Must be able to lift, move and carry 20 lbs.
Interested candidates should provide a resume and cover letter, as well as a portfolio that includes 3-5 samples of past marketing and communications work.