Reporting to and partnering with the Chief Financial Officer, the Director of Fiscal Operations will play a critical role in overseeing all fiscal operations and implementing the financial management strategy for Action.
As a member of the management team, the Director will be an advisor to program directors, assisting them with budgets. The Director of Fiscal Operations will also work in partnership with the Director of Human Resources, Chief Operating Officer, and Chief Program Officer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee all daily operations of the fiscal department including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, procurement, bank statement and credit card reconciliation, monthly budget reporting, etc.
- Supervise Senior Accountant and Bookkeeper, as well as select, train, and mentor any new fiscal staff positions.
- Develop, maintain, and revise accounting and financial procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of organization. Ensure Financial Procedures Manual remains up to date and in compliance with DHCD organizational standards.
- Maintain internal control safeguards.
- Oversee contracts management including establishing process for all contracts issued by Action Inc. (i.e., process, boilerplate language, tracking of signatures, receipt and preparation of contracts for signature by CEO, storage of contracts electronically).
- Craft, evaluate, negotiate and execute a wide variety of different contracts covering a range of transactions.
- Serve as the singular point of contact for matters concerning contracts.
- Maintain records for correspondence and documentation in relation to established contracts and those in progress.
- Monitor contracts and move forward with close-out, extension or renewal according to what’s best for the agency. Solve any contract-related problems that may arise with other parties and internally with Action Inc. itself.
- Assist the CFO with preparation and completion of the fiscal year budgeting process. Assist with developing forecast/reforecast to provide an accurate projection of financial performance.
- Work with CFO to ensure compliance with appropriate Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, regulatory requirements, funding source requirements and Office of Management and Budget audit requirements.
- Oversee related software systems including payroll, financial/billing, etc. Lead any related software upgrade or conversion initiatives. Partner with CFO, COO, and IT consultants to procure and maintain specialized finance software systems that meet the needs of the organization.
- Enhance fiscal department use of software and integrate software into accounting processes and procedures. Work with fiscal staff to ensure their understanding of system.
- Develop dashboards to assist CFO, CEO, CPO and Board in program oversight and analysis.
- Partner with Director of Utility Budget & Data Systems to streamline processes for utility program tracking, billing, and reporting.
- Partner with Director of Human Resources on HR matters including payroll, insurance, onboarding, terminations, etc. to ensure strong communication between departments and streamlined processes.
- Develop financial strategies in partnership with COO and CPO by forecasting capital, facilities, and staff requirements; identifying monetary resources; and developing action plans.
- Oversee all major procurement processes to ensure compliance with regulatory standards.
- Update job knowledge by remaining aware of new regulations, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Attend and participate in departmental, managers, organization-wide and other meetings.
- Act in the best interest of the organization, reflecting the values of teamwork, collaboration and mutual respect.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of a BS in Business Management or Accounting, Master’s degree preferred.
- A seasoned and mature leader with at least 10 years of broad finance and accounting experience.
- Must have experience managing the finance function (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) within a diverse, multi-program nonprofit agency.
- Display a proven ability to juggle multiple priorities
- Mature and proactive, with evidence of having worked as a business partner to the CEO senior staff of a multi-program, multi-dimensional organization.
- Understanding of and experience with single audits under the Uniform Guidance.
- Excellent computer proficiency. Experience w MIP desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Exceptional follow through on tasks to ensure issues are resolved and/or tasks are completed
- Demonstrable passion for Action’s mission; a hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment.
- Past experience successfully partnering with IT staff to manage critical financial management systems.
- Strong orientation toward team culture
- An effective communicator at all levels in the organization, with strong oral and written skills and a willingness to share information.
- Other duties as assigned
Physical Demands: Must be able to lift, move and carry 10 lbs.